Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Another Day at Sea

[singing]: Sailing sailing over the ocean blue la de da da the seas have been really good.

We have been so fortunate that the sea gods have blessed us with a smooth crossing. I heard stories from other passengers about the crossing last year, about how bad it was. We must be doing something right! We had a little rolly polly for a couple of hours early this morning. Most of the time, you can’t even tell that the ship is moving through the seas at 15-20 knots. I got to thinking about what it is like when the ship is heaving to and fro, especially when you are trying to look graceful while walking down the halls doing the “staggering or inebriated walk,” or how to shower without falling over while holding on to the grab rail with one hand and washing your foot with the other while standing on one foot. If you are on a ship long enough you will experience this fun challenge.

I have spent the past two days playing bridge – lots of bridge. Morning, noon and night. Today I actually came in third place (out of nine) and even earned master points. Woo whoo – I would have rather won another tote bag! The bridge players on this trip have been a very dedicated lot and have, for the most part, behaved themselves. They love Michael. We received an email asking if we were available to stay on for another segment, but alas, we have major commitments to keep.

We had a lovely dinner at Silk Road, the Japanese restaurant, with Dr. John and Jan. And yes, Marilyn, the dead body in the toilet was real. Also, Suzanne, the food in Iceland was awful. We had a buffet lunch and all Michael ate was the herring. The rest of the stuff was gross or just tasteless. If you have any questions you want answered, just email me or write in the comment section and I will do my best to either get you a truthful answer or I will just make something up that sounds pretty good and convincing.

My knitting is going nowhere, I have only completed one book, and the laundry is piling up. I don’t know where the time goes. My body is pretty much cooperating, the pain isn’t bad, but the tingling is so annoying and sometimes my left foot hurts. I had the room stewardess put some extra eggcrate foam on the bed. It is getting harder to sleep because every time I turn over the pain wakes me up, so I am tired. I have been pretty good about not complaining, so this is my shot to do it since nothing much else is going on. I miss talking to my family and especially miss seeing Isabelle. I am done whining. One more sea day before we land in Halifax.

2 comments:

  1. OMG!! John must have been really upset finding someone dead!! What a way to go!! Sorry I could not resist!
    You are really getting good at Bridge if Michael is not careful you will have his job!!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep it up woman & you will have more master points than I do!

    Darla Perry may be getting on the ship at New York. Just put the two together sure sounds like your agenda, put didn't get the cruise line. Michael has met her. She's a life master so if she is on your ship, sure you will meet!

    Have you tried ice for the back instead of heat? Always works better for me! Miss ya Carol

    ReplyDelete