Sunday, September 12, 2010

A Ripple in the Pond

Yea!!! The seas were tame, like a baby’s bathtub (a great hyperbole, if I do say so myself). Gentle rocking made for good sleep last night. However, after attending this evening’s show (located in the room at the bow of the ship), the sea conditions were a little choppier than we realized (there is less movement at the stern where our cabin and bridge lounge is located). The seas were 10 to 12 feet, but we were going into them. All in all, I am glad to say that the Captain has a 100% record for over estimating the sea conditions. I hope he keeps this record up for the rest of the trip.

They did board up the windows on the 5th floor guest rooms. We saw the window inserts as they were removing them from the rooms. These are huge metal covers that bolt over the windows. The crew also drained the swimming pool and tied the pool furniture down.

The big excitement for the day was the sighting of icebergs – big ones! They were all over the place. How cool is it to knit while viewing icebergs? If you are not a knitter, you can stop reading now.   Actually, I didn’t get much knitting done as I have spent the past week ripping and knitting the same two lines (about 450 stitches each line – ugh!). After much frustration with two or six stitches depending on how I counted, I ripped the lacework back about six rows and then picked the stitches back up. My lifeline was another few rows down and I didn’t want to rip back to it. What a colossal pain in the butt. You cannot fudge a lace pattern. I will probably finish this shawl in time for me to enter a retirement home and sit on the porch in the rocker.

2 comments:

  1. such a perfectionist! im sure your knitting was fine to begain with! glad your sea days and nights have been nice! miss you as always, love deb and belle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi:
    In a previous comment I mentioned something to be aware of hurricane possiblities afecting the North Atlancic ocean. I sure hope you miss the rough seas and have a good time. Dad

    ReplyDelete