Thursday, September 2, 2010

Chillin' at the Airport

We had an interesting way to start our travel day – a trip to the doctor. We NEVER waste a trip to Seattle. Michael saw the hand doctor and he is going to have surgery for his dupyutrans (honestly!) on November 8. I don’t know how we have time to travel with all this medical stuff going on. Remember, folks, getting old is not for sissies.

We are flying Icelandair, and foreign carriers do stuff different than domestic airlines. Let me back up first. I ALWAYS take a carry-on bag with enough stuff for at least three days. I packed a short sleeve, medium sleeve, and sweater shirt; a pair of jeans; tennis shoes, makeup, undies, and my medication. Now I do admit that the website said carry-on luggage could weigh no more than 13 pounds. Soooo, I sorta fudged and it weighed 19 pounds – but it had lots more room for lots more stuff. It wasn’t even halfway full. When we checked in, the agent saw all our bags and decided to weigh them. We also had a very heavy box of bridge books that we had to take to the ship. He agent weighs Michael’s computer case, which is very heavy; he weighs my bag, which is a little heavy. He said I had to check my bag. Well, no can/will do. I told him about all the important stuff I had inside. He told me to take out the stuff I didn’t want to check and put it in Michael’s computer bag. What!!!???!!!! How come he can take his overweight bag on the plane and I can’t? After Michael’s whispers in my ear, “Shut up and do it,” I begrudgingly take out the jewelry, medication and a couple pair of undies and shove them in my other carry-on bag (smile, smile). I shove the rest of the stuff in his bag. I have now checked a virtually empty suitcase. WTF? The agent did not charge for the box or excess weight of Michael’s bag – the price – my bag had to be checked. The same weight is going on the plane so who cares which bag it’s in {Indignant huff}.

Now I have cold feet because I am wearing sandals (that I was going to change out of after going through security), unless I put on the socks I wore to walk through security. Not going to be a pretty sight: cold feet, look good – hummm which shall it be? (I’ll look good until I get on the plane and then I’ll put on my compression socks, then I will really look cute (black socks, yellow sandals and navy blue pants).

1 comment:

  1. Doesn't seem quite right! Hope all will be okay with Michael's hand. What's his projected recovery time? Carol

    ReplyDelete